Open Burn Information
Do not burn building materials
Call 810-686-5432 Before You
Open Burning Requirements
The Clio Area Fire Department requires everyone to call the Burn Line before you start your fire at 810-686-5432.
Burning Guidelines and Tips
Cooking fires in a gas or charcoal grill and campfires in a metal container made specifically for this purpose as long as they are small does not require you to Call the burn line. Campfires and open cooking fires are allowed but must be monitored, Kept to an acceptable size and attended to at all times. Campfires should be in a container designed for that purpose or a fire pit.
Banned items from burning
Violation of Michigan Law, city or township ordinance, or negligence on the part of the property owner, will result in the owner being charged for the Fire Department responding to an incident.
UNDER MICHIGAN LAW, Residents are not allowed to burn any of the following
- LEAVES OR GRASS CLIPPINGS
- BUILDINGS (house, barn, shed, garage)
- CONSTRUCTION AND DEMOLITION WASTE
- RUBBISH OR TRASH
- PLASTICS / RUBBER
- COMMERCIAL OR INDUSTRIAL WASTE
Any land clearing that requires a burning duration of greater than 12 hours should be inspected and approved by the Fire Chief or a representative of the Clio Fire Department.
Clio Area Fire Department Cost Recovery
A calculated fee for personnel, trucks, equipment, supplies, contracted services
Minimum fee: $500 for 1 Station, $750 for 2 Station.
Additional cost of contractors and / or equipment required to abate the incident would be billed as appropriate.
- Violation of law - Federal, State, Local laws or local ordinances
- Illegal Fire - whichever is greater of the fee schedule or flat fee
- Arson fire of any kind
- No Burn Permit - City Of Clio
- Burning of any material other than brush/Fallen trees
- Fires set in violation of a no-burning ban or order
- Non-residents (people, companies, or corporations that do not live or operate a business within the fire district
- All instances of Alarm System malfunction or activation resulting from but no limited to: improper installation, equipment failure, intentional or otherwise which results in a determination that there was no actual need for emergency assistance
- Assist EMS
- Legally set fires that get out of control
- Standby with scene lights for Police (invoice to person causing situation)
- False Alarms - International or otherwise which results in a determination that there was no actual need for emergency assistance
- Bomb Threats
- Hazardous Material clean up
No Fee will be charged for the following
- Mutual Aid to another Fire Department
- A property owner burning legally that has called the BURN LINE before they have started a FIRE at 686-5432.
- Where no private property is involved (municipal properties and rights of way)
- Trees down in the Road Right of Way
- Weather Alert - Standby for Tornado spotting
- "No incident found" situations
- Gasoline Spill at gas station when person spilling the gasoline has left the scene
- Rekindle of earlier fire
- Good Intent
- Steam called in as smoke by a party other than the property owner (vehicle, clothes dryer, etc)